The wonderful month of May is coming to an end. I wondered if I would be able to write a blog post this month. My goal was to finish a translation from German to English; the longest translation I have had in all my years of translation work Fortunately it was neatly typed and I didn't have to resort to using a magnifying glass or dealing with the old Gothic alphabet. What I wasn't expecting was the emotional toll it had on me. These were memories of people who had been forced into exile by the Communist government in Russia after the Russian Revolution of 1917. Their properties were confiscated and they were sent north to perform forced labour under unimaginable conditions. The stories are horrendous. How anyone survived and lived to tell about it is a mystery to me! My distant relative, who also shares my name, did a marvelous job by travelling to Germany, encouraging her relatives to write them and then collecting these stories. I hope that my translation will remind her grandchildren to work for peace.
Elfriede gifted me with this basket of flowers as a thank you, besides paying me for my work.
Whenever I look at them I will remember those suffering even today by being sent into exile. My family narrowly escaped that fate in October 1943, the year I was born.
On May 26 I celebrated my 83 birthday with my four sisters and my family. I am thankful...for having escaped the ravages of war, for my health, for my children and grandchildren, for peace...praying for peace...
A lovely home made card from my granddaughter
My wonderful neighbours had left flowers on my doorstep when I came home from celebrating with my sisters. They are originally from Ukraine like I am.
Friends came for lunch the day after my birthday with well wishes and flowers. We marveled at how far we have come and how the time has flown by so rapidly since our days at Canadian Mennonite Bible College.
Joy and sadness are so intertwined, especially it seems in the senior years. Below is a photo from my kitchen calendar. It is a birthday calendar my daughter, Christine, designed with photos of family members on the month on which they were born, posing in an outhouse at the cottage where we spend a week each summer. Below is the photo for May. That is the month my son in law, Bryan, and I have birthdays. He will be 54 at the end of this month and I just turned 83. We had no idea when we happily posed for this picture what the next year held in store for us. Unfortunately, cancer has invaded his body.
A few days ago I attended a memorial service for a beloved professor, Waldemar Janzen, who taught me and many others Old Testament and German. He lived 93 years, the last few with dementia. In the bulletin was a German poem written by Eduard Moerike. Below is my translation:
Joy and sorrow go hand in hand and it's difficult to know how to hold them together. My dad had a favorite saying when we girls couldn't stop laughing. Nach dem Lachen kommt das Weinen. Trsl: After laughing follows weeping. I have found that to be true in my life many times!
In Him the beginning
Who moves moon and sun
On the blue tent of Heaven!
You, Father, advise me,
Lead Thou and guide me,
Lord, in Your hands
Is beginning and ending!
.jpeg)






God has gifted you with a talent for language. I praise Him for the way you have been using this gift for him. You said, "I hope that my translation will remind her grandchildren to work for peace." I anticipate that the answer to that question is a resounding YES!
ReplyDeleteAnother gift you are passing on is compassion. I see that in the mementos you displayed here for your birthday. Prayers for Bryan and all concerned. ((( )))
Thank you too for including Eduard Moerike's poem: Truly the LORD is the Alpha and Omega!
Here's to a happy and healthy year ahead, Elfrieda!
Thanks for always being so affirming, Marian! Please continue to pray for our family, especially re Bryan's health.
DeleteHappy birthday, Elfrieda. I am impressed by your major project of translation and sorry that it caused you to suffer. The amount of cruelty and pain in the world, both in the past and in the present, can overwhelm us. I am so glad you have your family and your faith to sustain you. Loved your granddaughter's card. The homemade ones are the best!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Shirley! I treasure my grandchildren's homemade cards! I also enjoy receiving texts from them.
DeleteThank you, Elfrieda.
ReplyDeleteSomeone I have thought about more in the last two years than ever before has been my paternal grandmother. My grandfather got warning to flee in 1922 (I think) just minutes before authorities came looking for him. He made it to Constantinople and finally to the US. My grandmother was able to leave in 1924. They traveled as a family group. My dad was the youngest of 9, there were also two daughters-in-law and one granddaughter. They had to go to Canada first, as the US changed the policies that year. What I have been thinking about is what happened with my grandmother’s siblings. I know that my dad started corresponding with some aunts in the late 70s who had gotten out of the Soviet Union into Germany, and when my parents came to visit me in Kajiji in 1980, they stopped in Germany to see them. A lot of stories that I do not know at all.
And happy birthday!
Thank you Linda for the happy birthday wishes, and also for sharing some of your ancestors’ stories. So many stories that never got told…
ReplyDeleteOh Elfrieda…. we are reminded daily how fragile life can be. To share the “pain” stories with others & the next generation is so important so they can realize that we learn from both joy and sorrow as it comes to us.
ReplyDeleteSo happy to have been able to share your birthday with you. You are blessed with all of the love & support you have around you.❤️My heart aches for Bryon & his family but know they are all blessed with love & support.
Love your sister Ruth
Thanks Ruth! Always good to have that sisterly support!
DeleteI like hearing what you've been up to on a monthly basis, Elfrieda!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Dora, good to hear from you!
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry to hear about your son in law!
ReplyDeleteHappy belated birthday. The card from your granddaughter is beautiful and heartfelt. The translation project would have been difficult - hard to comprehend how humans can treat each other.
Robbie
A belated happy birthday to you, Elfrieda! Thank you for sharing this slice of life with both deep sorrow and rich joy. As your dad said, After laughing follows weeping, and as the psalmist says, "Those who go out weeping, carrying seed to sow, will return with songs of joy, carrying sheaves with them" (Psalm 126:6).
ReplyDelete